Thursday, June 30

is 3,400 enough?

Aren't I the chatty one today?

A change happened a couple nights ago.  I thought it was a false start, so I didn't think much of it at the time, but now I can see that it might stick.  I knew this would happen eventually, but had no clue when to expect it.  I even admit sometimes I looked forward to it.

Every night, and until they stopped napping twice a day, I/we have sung to the girls before they go to sleep.  No matter what, even if we were mad, or getting to bed too late to read stories, singing three songs while scratching, tickling or rubbing the girls has been sacred ground.  Just like their lovies are never taken away, neither are their songs.  Even when we got home at 12:30 a.m. from seeing Mary Poppins.

Lullaby, Twinkle Twinkle, and Hush My Baby Dear.  In that order. The songs have changed a few times over the years.  Lullaby has been a constant.  Silent Night reigned supreme twice a day along with it until I couldn't take it anymore and refused to sing it other than in December.  Hush My Baby Dear joined the line up about a year and half ago after an Oma visit.

But about a month ago, I stopped singing Twinkle, Twinkle because when Harland isn't around it was not easy to sing it to them both at the same time.  Then we just sort of dropped it all together.

But then...but then.  On Tuesday night when I went in to sing, Harland was finishing up some work and Abby said, "That's ok Mom, you can just sing to Grace.  I want to read my book."  Heart sinks a little.

Me: Are you sure Abby?
Abby: I'm sure.  I'd rather read my book.   Not sure if I'm happy about this or not.
Me: Ok, Grace.  Want to sing?
Grace: No.  I want to read a book too.
Me: Ok.  Nothing wrong with that.  I wasn't sure when you two would decide you didn't want us to sing any more.    Thinking Grace will come out 5 minutes later and tell me she can't sleep because we didn't sing, which, she didn't.
Me: How about we read a story in bed instead?
Grace: OK! I'll pick it out...

And so now it seems a new bedtime routine is emerging.  We read together on the couch, then I lay on each of their beds while they read me a story.  Or tonight one read to me on my bed while the other read to Harland somewhere else.  We're still working out the kinks.  I think I'm ok with this.  I mean, how many times can one human being sing Lullaby and still be sane?!  But it's just one more reminder that they're not getting any younger, and so of course a little piece of my heart breaks off.

PS: I just estimated that I have sung Lullaby about 3,400 times.  That is insanity!

2 comments:

Jill said...

And they will continue to surprise you!!

Elisha said...

Awww...I know the feeling. But what a great NEW tradition which allows you to save your singing voice for Baby C. I'm sure he'll adore hearing Lullaby 3,400 times too! :)