Wednesday, June 8

Living with a Crazy (Pregnant) Person

Guest post by Harland

I must generally say that Amy is fairly sane and level headed. Sometimes surprisingly (annoyingly) so. But living with a pregnant Amy (or woman) can offer unique moments of pure excitement/bwilderment/adventure/frustration. Monday night was no exception.

Picture the scene: 
Interior. Evening. A warm, humid evening at home, girls are in bed following a delightful shrimp scampi dinner on the deck and making cards for Grand-pop. Dad feels a little bored (MBA is complete) so instead of turning on a video game or reading or starting his 99th project, decides to bake a cake. Not just any cake, but a chocolate-peanut butter chip-better-than-sex (pshaw) cake. He whips us the ingredients and throws it in the oven to bake. (I took a calculated risk here turning a 350 degree oven on near a pregnant woman on a hot summer night - air conditioning just now recovering our kitchen from dinner)

Amy starts our current Netflix movie The Blindside and we settle in to watch and maybe play a little with the iPad. 50 minutes in the cake is done and cooling on the stove. Half hour later Amy turns to me.

Amy: "Did you take the cake out of the pan to cool."
Me: "Oh no, I forgot" gets up to go to kitchen
Me: "You don't need to pause the movie."
Amy: Pauses anyway. "That's ok"
Me: enters kitchen and Amy follows me in for some reason. Starts getting a large cake plate out to flip it on to
Amy: "I'll take a big piece. I've been holding off for it to be done."
Me; "Wait. You can't."
Amy: "What?"
Me: "This is for tomorrow night" (We had dinner with Christy and her family planned) Still pulling the cake out.
Amy: "I didn't know that. I wanted cake." She makes a sad face
Me: "Sorry - it's for tomorrow."
Amy: "But baby wants cake. I waited to have a piece." She turns to leave, and is chuckling a little.
Me: "Sorry."
Approximately what it looked like with a lot more frosting in the middle
Me: "Wait, you aren't crying about this are you?"
Amy: "No." Between laughs.
Amy: Starts crying.
Me: "You're crying over the cake?"
Amy: Continues crying and laughing - doesn't end.
Me: "I'm sorry. You can have a piece." I'm trying not to laugh to hard and then hug her to console this crazy lady that has taken over my wife's body. "Have a piece."

Amy insists she'll be ok and grabs a bag of Chips A'Hoy (which she polishes off) to eat during the movie. The movie is good, emotional, and Amy's eyes well up during the film a couple times.
Amy: (in her head) "I can't believe I cried over a cake. Stupid cake. Wait"...starts tearing up over the cake.
Harland: "????"

By the way. The cake was delicious and we even brought some back home. Not that I expect the parasitic host to eat any more. I think she's moved on to other things - like a huge craving for fruit or sharp cheddar cheese. It's gonna be a fun summer!

HRP

7 comments:

Adi said...

now was this a laugh/cry like her imitading a star wars character or making obsence clay shapes for her father?

too funny.

my rebel took over said...

Um, in my defense, Harland never told me the cake was for dinner the next night! He just said he was bored and felt like making cake, so I held off having a snack so I could have a piece! We'd been talking about turning our traditional better-than-sex cake into a chocolate peanut butter version since my birthday so I was more than ready to sample it.

I do not know why I admitted to you the next day that for the rest of the evening when I'd think about the cake, I'd start crying again. Nothing like feeling completely out of control!

And I have NOT been having weird cravings! Although me, watermelon and pineapple have been best friends for a few weeks now. Speaking of which...I wonder if there's some left in the fridge...

my rebel took over said...

Oh and Adi...the obscene play dough during Cranium wasn't me. I had to act out something and it wound up being obscene. It was an accident! But since my whole family was there for this one, I think no one would argue with me that it was probably top 10 of the funniest moments in our history. Maybe top 5.

M&M said...

It really brought back memories hearing a Harland told story. And Amy, I TOTALLY think he should have given you a piece if he didn't declare up front that it was for the next night. Even un-pregnant I would cry over that.

Sabrina said...

I think I have cried/laugh over cake while I was pregnant. It happens to us all!

Trinyan Mariano said...

Hysterical story (literally, I guess). Made even more funny by Amy logging on to defend herself and explain how much she really wanted that cake.

my rebel took over said...

I just read this post again (after Trinyan commented) and I was tearing up again while reading it. I'm going to tell myself that I teared up because it was funny and not because I still remember the sharp misery it gave me to have to wait for that cake!

ps: That cake was yummy, even if I had to wait a day!