I'm not going to lie to you. One of my hang ups about having another baby (and possibly Harland's too) was having to give up our computer/girls crafty stuff/everything else room to the baby. I will not admit just how much weight this had in our decision to have Baby C (I call this one Baby C since Abby and Grace were always called "Baby A" and "Baby B" by the doctors when I was pregnant).
What you need to know is that exactly one week after we closed on our first house (three days after we actually moved in), we outgrew it (aka: the girls were born). Our first home was a two bedroom, half duplex. It was a great first house, and had we had our children in a non-whole sale like fashion we would have been in good shape, but the second bedroom was tiny. There was no way we could ever have fit two twin size beds in there and the ceilings were a bit low up there so bunk beds were out of the question. It's a good thing we moved after three years, while the girls were still in their toddler beds.
After having this extra room to dump stuff in and not having my computer and paperwork in my bedroom for the past three years, I am reluctant to give that up. If we had been straddled blessed with twins again we would have outgrown our current house again. I like my house. I didn't really want to outgrow it. I'm a little worried that even with one we will feel that way, but it doesn't matter, we're going to make it work.
So before I get too big to be of any use in this department, I'm trying to clear out this room of all our junk very important items such as extra picture frames, some of my crafty supplies and ALL of the girls crafty supplies, computer desks, two kid size Ikea tables and all the tiny little things you keep in an office that I no longer will have. I'm taking it a little at a time a la The Flylady approach.
Today I took advantage of the girls still being in school and purged crafty supplies. If they were home they would never have let me get rid of half of what I did. I didn't clear out this side of the closet yet, which will become Baby C's, because I have yet to figure out exactly where this stuff will find a new home, but it has been massively reduced and is ready to go (Feel free to notice the paint sample that is still on the wall from a year and a half ago. That's about the middle of my wrestling with the do we/don't we question regarding a new family member and I decided it was pointless to paint until I figured that out):
Last week I cleared this third of the closet which had board games, tools, photography equipment and pictures. Those are all finding new homes. I decided the baby doesn't get this third of the closet. I grew up with a closet about the size of just this end and was just fine. I'm giving Baby C two thirds of the closet and this third will be for our use. Mainly to host the vacuum cleaner and all those annoying reusable bags, not to mention my huge stash of plastic grocery bags, since I have never once remembered to bring the reusable ones. Darn you green-thinking people!
And the middle third is what I'm dreading most. Since the doors block most of it, it is difficult to put things away. I'm going to actually remove them to make clearing it easier. I'm hoping to put up bi-fold doors instead, even though these look nice. They're just so much more practical! Hopefully I'll talk myself into tackling that this week.
Not that anyone cares about this, but I'm needing to feel the sense of accomplishment over here.


1 comment:
I hate/love organizing. Good job!
ps I LOVE the test color. Love it.
Post a Comment