Wednesday, November 7

amy in deutschland!

I tried to come up with some fun German phrase, but since I know absolutely no German, and Harland is not around for me to pick his brain, we're stuck with my Alice In Wonderland-esque title.


Harland is going to Germany for work in December and guess what? I'm going with him! I'm really excited, and not at the same time. I'm trying to work through my nerves:

  • Pro: Hello?!?! Going to Germany!
  • Con: Leaving the girls for a week...not high on my "To-Do" list. Infact, it's on my Things-I-Don't-Plan-To-Do list.
  • Pro: Crossing the pond for only the second time in my life and having a little adventure.
  • Con: Forcing myself to be outgoing (believe it or not I am actually a smidge shy in new situations) when meeting new people, especially a few that don't speak English. Awkward, much? And I hate to admit that I don't handle these situations well. Harland...just think the President of Germany incident!!!! People...all you need to know is I made an idiot of myself in front of yes, the President of Germany. Germany: 1, Amy: 0
  • Pro: Possibley making it to Paris while we're there! I am trying my darndest to fit that in.
  • Con: Having to be brave in a foreign country by myself while Harland's at work. I am completely intimidated by this. I wish someone could come with me! Any takers? Seriously.
  • Pro: Did I mention...going to Germany??? And from what I'm told going at Christmas will be worth it.
  • Con: Having to ask family to watch the girls, unpaid, and underappreciated. I hate doing that. It makes me feel weird asking someone to be working while I'm off having fun.
  • Pro: Going on a trip with H. Definietly a good thing.
I just looked at a calendar...it's only 3 and half weeks away! That's nuts. I better get my winter coat ordered pronto. I don't believe Harland, so can one of my relatives that has lived in Germany tell me how cold I will be walking around in December? Harland doesn't think it'll be all that bad. Keep in mind that I generally whip out the turtlenecks in September! So, do I need to pack long johns, or what?

7 comments:

Critchlow said...

What are you worrying about? That is awesome!
Just for your info: Everyone in Germany walks around naked. It's a fact. It's been that way ever since the holocaust. So if you are going to go you will have to go...naked. As I am sure Harland will get fired after they see his nakedness your current concerns seem petty as compared to your future concerns.
Oh, and if a little midget woman says, "Du bist ein hasslich machen!" always respond with "Danke, Scheisse! Du bist schon." And give her a frenchy kiss...you know what I'm talking about. This is customary and seems to ALWAYS happen.

And if Harland begins to clog on the city square- run away yelling, "Stalin Remittenden!" and pretend you don't know him. Then the SS will show up- naked of course, minus their howitzers- and take care of Stalin. I mean Harland.
No matter, the fact is you will end up with some naked SS guy with a gun and a name like, Georgin. Grace and Abby will love him as a new father. Whenever he tells them, "Halt die Schnauze!" they will just look at him and laugh. No toddler listens to their father-so it will just be added bonus when they don't understand a word Georgin says.

Good luck...and have fun! Give my regards to Georgin- oh, and the little midget...hmmm, I miss her.

Nikki said...

Wow, seems like a blast. The hardest part is leaving the girls. Once you are there you wont be so bad. UNtil you are alone and realize that you dont know how to be alone anymore! Hell, go shopping, bring me home something fun! And, if you need any help with the girls, I would love to help. A sleep over here would be a ton of fun! : )

Unknown said...

How exciting! Turtlenecks? Haven't they been outlawed. :) Is it bad that I don't think I will mind leaving Kaleah for a week when I finally take my honeymoon. LOL! Have a blast! Good luck on the long trip over.

Sandra said...

Was that a real invite for a personal tour guide to accompany you? One who would love to help you pass the time while Harland is working. Sorry but Gabriel would never let me leave him. Don't worry, almost everyone speaks at least a little English and yes, they are all naked. That's what makes clogging in winter so much more fun. Sounds just ausgezeichnet. You should use that one a lot, it's my favorite.

Critchlow said...

Seriously, Rebel, no retort. You disapoint.

Old Optonline account said...

Critch - No retort! See my most recent post to see why I haven't responded yet. ...Thanks for the naked advice. At least I know I can pack light now. Might be a bit nippy in December though.
I'll have to get Harland to translate your German before I respond to that. If it's what Adi and Belinda think it is, frankly I AM SHOCKED! LOL...

Nikki...Don't let Mom see your offer of a sleep over. She might take you up on it!

Melissa...How dare you insult the almighty turtleneck! I can't stand not to have my neck warm and cozy when it's cold out!

Sandra - Why do I keep forgetting you know German. Hey...I'm sure (wink) Aunt Judy wouldn't mind hanging onto Gabriel for a week for you!

HRP said...

Wow Critchlow.
Pulling out the cussing. Special. What is in the UofU water?
Sandra is right. Nothing like naked clogging to get the blood flowing. That's what Oktoberfest is really all about.
You're going to have a great time - I am SOOO excited. I get to see some dear friends. And we are in Germany!