Thursday, December 8

a little dose of reality...

So here I went all crazy and started posting daily, trying to be superwoman, but a few days ago reality set in a bit and I hit a wall. I must have been running on adrenaline for almost two weeks and now I'm realizing, I'm completely exhausted! I'm not the only one around here thinking I'm super. Harland was being Super Dad/Husband for the past two weeks. He made a meal plan and has been cooking every night for us. He gets up in the morning, turns off my alarm and gets the girls ready while I sleep, packs their lunch and out to the bus. This week he's back to work (at my kitchen table), he's taking one of the midnight feedings, and he's just as into making our Christmas Advent Spectacular as spectacular as it was last year as I am. I think we both hit a wall within a day of each other.

Part of the reason for this is our perfect little mellow angel, ain't so mellow anymore (and yes, I used "ain't" on purpose). We can still see the mellow in him.  It's there somewhere.  He would be, but he's having some tummy troubles that started surfacing a little over a week ago and have gotten a little worse every day. The last few days have been the worst.  Not as bad as having a baby with colic, just very fussy.  But we're making some dietary changes and trying some other tricks. Give me a couple days and I'll let you know if they're working, but I can tell you that he's been out cold sleeping for two hours now and that's the longest he's slept during the day in a few days. We've been lucky to go 45 minutes. So, while I'm not counting my chickens because it could be a fluke, I'm hoping that we're already making a turn back toward uuber mellow baby-ville.

We're also re-learning that when you have a baby, you have to slow down. You have to re-adjust your expectations of what you can accomplish in a day. You can't always (or almost never for a while), do the things you want or love to do, because right now life just isn't about you. It's about that little person you wanted so much, and it's a good sacrifice to set aside something you love, for something you love more than the world. So, although I've been taking pictures, I haven't uploaded them yet. I have a few James on... ideas in my mind I'd like to get to and of course our Advent Spectacular. Plus we had a special day with James on Sunday and I have an awesome family photo I'm dying to share. I'll get there. I will! But right now I have a sweet squishy cheeked baby that's calling for me and wanting some dinner...

1 comment:

Emilie said...

Amy,

Good for you! Good for you for slowing down...even if it's just a little bit. It's so hard to tell ourselves NO when we probably could do it all. Not with out suffering somewhere else of course, but it could be done.

Good luck on the tummy issues. It's terribly hard when a baby won't sleep.