Thursday, March 3

it's a jolly holiday...



Last night we took the girls to see Mary Poppins on Broadway!    I may, or may not have been chomping at the bit to do this with them since I saw Wicked last year.  It's just that Broadway is so expensive!  At the beginning of the year I got an email with a buy one get one free deal.  How, tell me how you can pass that up?!  Ok, well I can't.

I was a little worried about them lasting through a 2 hour and 45 minute show that didn't start until 8pm (their bedtime).  Abby just loses her noodle and cries starting around 8:30.  But they were great.  Grace wiggled through the first Act, but she settled down after intermission.  The show was excellent.  Just as good as the reviews I read.  And it's a perfect introduction to Broadway.  A story they know already (But based off the books more so than the movie, so some surprises), a few songs they already recognize and lots of fun.  The sets were in a word: amazing.  Bert walks up the wall and across the ceiling.  Mary Poppins flew right over our heads (so glad we picked seats on that side!).  Confetti flew.  Abby was trying her best to discreetly learn the moves to Supercalifrajalisticexpialidocious in her seat.  I hope I can find a YouTube video of that, because I sure can't remember and she wants to.  Grace was hitting her knees along with the music.

Watching their faces was even better than watching the show for me.  They would light up when something happened.  Grace kept hugging me.  They were so into it!  I asked them if they liked this or watching a movie better.  They both yelled, "This!".  That's my girls.  But then again, this could get expensive!

Before the show started we walked up and let them peek into the pit.  I wanted them to know that the music was actually being played right in front of us.  They were pretty impressed.  Someone in the pit waved at Grace and she was over the moon about it.  The girls came home with a Mary Poppins Barbie and an extra outfit for her.  Abby was very torn between that and a t-shirt so she could wear it to school.  I think I'll have to do a little research about the t-shirt.



In front of the curtain which opens to a magnificent three story 17 Cherry Tree Lane.  (And later you get to see even more of the house.  Amazing!

This is my favorite picture of the year so far.  Look how adorable my parents are with them!  I didn't ask them to do this, but I'm so glad they did!  ps: This was taken at 11pm and the girls are still smiling.

 We're not as cute as my parents were, but here we are anyway...

And Abby passed out in the car within five minutes.  Grace held out a bit longer, but not too much.  And of course we played hooky from school today.

If you have a small person in your house, take them to see this show!  You will not regret it.  Even if you don't have a small person living with you, you'll love it.

Now if I could just get a deal like that for The Lion King and The Little Mermaid...

1 comment:

Emilie said...

Sigh. Please more posts like this. I need to live vicariously. I am far too far away from Broadway.