Friday, September 16

there must be an easier way...

Since I can't do a whole lot to work on Bacon's room right now (the carpet guys are coming to measure tomorrow...hooray!), I'm taking advantage and working on some other areas of the house.  Today I tackled the long overdue pantry.  I should have taken a before picture so you could see just how overgrown with the remnants of a busy summer it was.  I couldn't find anything.  I had multiple packages of the same thing open in there.  It was bad.  I took everything out and started from scratch.

Much better:


Now, i know this is thrilling and you can hardly contain yourselves, but my other reason for getting this done is a need to streamline our snack/lunch packing.  Last year the girls just needed one snack for school and that was easy enough for them to get out themselves. This year they need two snacks and a lunch.  I feel like my entire evening is all about food, between dinner, packing snacks and lunches, and then having a before bed snack.  It's driving me crazy, so if anyone has any suggestions of how they have made this easier for themselves, please share!  So far I've got the school snack shelf all ready to go with easy to grab stuff, so they can at least pack their own dry snacks and drinks.  They usually want some kind of fruit with their snack, so I have to pack that up and keep it in the fridge until morning.  Does anyone pre-package their fruit so it's easier to pack?  I was thinking maybe doing that, the fruit might get yucky quicker.  Like apples...they'd be mighty brown if I cut them up ahead of time.


Help me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I HATE LUNCH!!! There, I've said it. I had a real problem last year mostly because my children seem like the most picky kids on the planet. By the end of last year they were just taking a slice of bread and half an apple because I was tired of opening lunches full of uneaten food that evening. I reasoned, "they'll eat when they get home," which of course they always do - and never stop until I lock the fridge.
What I do this year is just have one set meal for every day and just rotate that throughout the year. If they get tired of it, we'll probably change it up but here's how it plays out now, Mon - onigiri, Tue - mini pizzas, Wed - bean and cheese burritos, Thur - spring rolls, Fri - bagel with cream cheese. In addition to this they get a fruit and veggies with dip and their water bottle. It's enough to cover their lunch and their snack. I prep it all either the night before or make large quantities of things and freeze for later like the mini pizza crusts and onigiri. It's a quick assembly at 6:15am. I usually cut the apples that morning and use a lemon, squirting all the juice on it to keep it from getting brown (aka yucky).
Good luck!