So during that fun little party Oma threw for the girls, we had party poppers. You know. Those things that you pull on the string and out pops confetti and streamers. We had them outside. I tried to be sure none were being tracked inside. Later that night while Karen, my parents, H and I were playing games, I found one of the strings on the floor and said, "Everybody keep your eyes peeled for these things. We all know what cats'll do with them."
Approximately 20 minutes later, Harland went to go do school work and stepped in pile after pile of throw up on the way (the lights were out in the hall). By the next afternoon Cheddar was so listless, I had to take him to the vet. The last appointment of the night, they showed me how one of those strings was anchored around his tongue and most likely all the way through his intestines. Either he has emergency surgery that night, or he dies. I was a wreck. Spend the money, or put him to sleep. We decided on the surgery, and they called me at almost midnight to say that it was pretty bad, but he was ok. They showed me a picture of his intestines (I know...yummy) before and after they removed the string. Poor guy!
After he came home, it was like having a newborn in the house for a week. Feeding by hand every hour, medications 5 times/day, etc. I think I'm really ready for that whole tube tying thing you crazy kids keep talking about! He was very bummed to be wearing an e-collar, but he got used to it, and it made giving him medicine pretty easy, since he clearly felt un-manned. He had his stitches out earlier this week and seems perfectly fine now. Yeesh!
(And no, I did not decorate his cone...He came home that way.)
----------------------------------------------------------------
The girls are going to preschool 3 days a week this year for a couple hours. LOVE IT! I adore my girls, but I'll admit that I walked in the door after I dropped them off for the first full day and did a dance. Seriously. I did. I sat in my silent house for about 5 minutes and then got up and cleaned the litterbox. Thrilling, I know. Two and half hours goes by a lot quicker than I was hoping, but it is such a nice break. I love picking them up and listening to them tell me all about their day. I have to really listen, since I wasn't there and don't already know the stories they're telling me. I'm glad they're having their own experience, away from me too. Grace barely says goodbye to me when I drop her off. Abby needs on or two hugs before she goes.
Unfortunately I didn't get to spend the first day of preschool in class with the girls like last winter. That was fun, and made for a nifty scrapbook page. I did whip out the camera, stick my arm in the door after I left them and snapped one action shot of them on their first day though. I will not be denied!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment