Thursday, October 1

never say never...ever!

One piece of advice I give to new parents is usually, "Never say, 'I'll never do that!" because chances are, at some point, you will. Let me give you an example...

Take a journey back with me 11, maybe 12 years. Nikki (sister in law) and I are working at a small locally owned store. We are smack in the middle of the Beanie Baby craze. And it was CRAZY! We couldn't believe how adults were acting to get their hands on such-and-such Beanie. And when the Princess Di bear came out, forget it! The owners were so fed up they just gave those to the employees so they didn't have to deal with it. One customer was even banned from returning to the store for her nasty behavior!

I remember conversations with Nikki in which we said we would NEVER stand outside a store just to get a stupid toy, and more importantly, act like these crazy people!

Fast forward 11, maybe 12 years. Yesterday we dropped our kids off at preschool and proceeded to stand outside Toys R Us for 50 minutes before it opened because we knew a shipment of Zhu Zhu Pets were coming in. This was our first time doing anything like this and wee managed to be first in line. Some of the people behind us were normal, and then some of them had been doing this a few times a week for a month, and they were a smidge crazy!

Now, I have no problem saying I'm going to stand in line for something I want, even getting there early, but I never had any intention of running for it. EVER! But the lady behind us in line started getting really fidgety about 10 minutes before the store opened, told us exactly the fastest way to get to the back, and we could tell she was going to take off like a shot as soon as they opened the door. It dawned on me then, I just stood outside for almost an hour and if I don't run, all these people will and I'll have to do this all over again. So I gave Nikki a look (she had Savannah and Tyler in the stroller), handed her my purse and when they opened the door I started to walk quickly. Then that woman had her hand on my back and said, "You better run, because I'm going!"

So, my friends and family, I can't believe I have to admit that I did, in fact, run. Dang my pride and my standards! It's actually quite embarrassing, but what's done is done. Nikki and I were both able to get what we came for (I basically threw stuff at her from the shelves). I did get pushed a bit (but I definitely did NOT do anything crazy like that)! And when I turned around and realized they were opening more boxes behind us, and there was something we wanted in them, I saw the crazed look on people's faces and said to Nikki, "I draw the line at that. I'm not going to paw at the employee while she's opening those boxes".

And we left the proud owners of Zhu Zhu Pets for our kids and a bunch of Christmas presents under our belts! Do you know what? I said I'd never do it, but I did, and it was fun. Actually, waiting outside, listening to the crazy stories people told about trying to get these or other hot item toys (like Tickle Me Elmo) was fun. Discussing strategy with Nikki was fun. Running, I'll admit, was even a little fun. After that, I just wanted out. That's when the crazy of people kicks in and I just don't want ANYTHING that much!


Some of the crazy people in line.  Lady in blue pants was the panicked runner.  Guy in fleece on the right, normal dad.  Lady in Pink hood, woah!  Very crazy.


Tyler and Savannah were awesome partners in crazy, I mean crime!



And proof, so neither Nikki or I can deny that we did this 20 years down the line!

Hey!  Laugh all you want.  When my Dad worked for Pan-Am, I was one of the lucky kids who got a Cabbage Patch Kid because a co-worker flew to London, met someone at the gate who gave him two dolls.  One for their child and one for me.  My mom said it was like having a baby, because we had no idea what we were getting.  My baby was a Brittish boy named Zachary Taylor.  And I loved him.  And if I were to ever have another baby and it were a boy, there is a good chance I'll fight for that name!

Hey Nikki, I hear there's another shipment tomorrow...up for it?  LOL!!!!!

5 comments:

Flying Cloud said...

Can't believe my passive, kind-hearted, understanding daughter-in-law became one of the "crazies." Good going. I think that everyone has to experience this at least once.
Hope you bought one for me.
Oma

bl said...

We went to a few garage sales today during the townwide garage sale and bought 2 sleds, a toy race car, a Fisher Price rocking boat type thing, and a Dora video for $11 today. Some might consider that crazy.

Actually it sounds like you two enjoyed yourselves so it's all good. Now if you start making a habit of it.... and wearing pink hoodies or crazy blue pants in public I'll start to worry.

Critchlow said...

Dear Crazy,

It is sooo sad. I say every year that I won't get caught up in the junk-it grab. But then some smart marketing guru has to price an item that I want at such rediculously low prices (most likely because a 3 year old girl in Bangledesh made it).

You did well. Had it been me..."hand on my back" I would have drop kicked that lady to the tiled floor and been sued. No one, I mean no one has any right to enter my domain without permission. I can never understand the need to touch a stranger. Let's get to know each other first.

Then again, you seemed to have gotten pretty chummy with your pre pics and all- which might I add EVERY women (minus nikki) is doing something really funny with their mouths.

my rebel took over said...

Karen...I'm not sure that anyone has ever described me as passive in my life! I'm on the hunt for more, so maybe you'll get one for Christmas if you're a good girl!

bl...That's just a crazy good deal. That's what that is! I do have a pink hoodie, so maybe I'll have to wear it for the next round so I can feel authentically crazy!

Critch...Did you hear Walmart's offering 100 toys for $10 this year? I'm all over that! I wasn't too thrilled about that woman touching me either. At least we had talked for almost an hour outside first. I have one little rodent loving relative in mind for these Zhu Zhu pets for a while now. They would only let me buy two that day (which were Belle's birthday gift to the girls). As of this weekend I'm the proud owner of a pet that will be on it's way west as soon as I get one more part I'm looking for!

Sandra said...

Glad you had fun. Glad it wasn't me. There weren't that many crazies at the garage sales. Unless you count us.