Thursday, May 8

on the road and a near miss

***Oops! I accidentally posted this on Harland's blog last night. I think I was tired!!!***

Hi-ho from NC! I wish I had something really exciting to tell you about our trip, but I don't. Actually, I don't wish that. I am extremely happy to say that my brain is on vacation. No thoughts of packing, no thoughts of will-there-be-a-problem-with-our-mortgage, just a whole lot of nothing. We're loving spending a week with our friends, although the younger two are suffering from some nasty double ear infections. Seriously. The 15 month old is on his 3rd antibiotic. Poor kiddies. And poor Kalyn. She hasn't slept almost at all for the last week and a half and is a bit under the weather herself. So we're trying to help out, and I'm glad we can do that. I stood in the kitchen today and said to Harland, "What would my mom do if we were sick?" She'd make sure we ate and start cleaning up the path we leave behind in caring for the kids, that's what she'd do. So hopefully we're helping and not being too much in the way!

About that near miss. On the way into town here, we passed the ER. In no uncertain terms I told my daughters that we were NOT to need to go there while on our trip. My kids do NOT mind me at all. (Note to Mom...just don't read this next sentence) Yesterday Grace fell off the top bunk in the girls room. She survived that pretty unharmed. This morning she fell off the arm of the chair in the living room and landed on the hard wood floors on her arm. No big deal, right? Harland ran to her and checked her out and other than crying a bit, she was ok. About a minute later she walks up to Harland holding her arm. Just below her elbow on the outside was signifigantly swollen. My first thought was she had dislocated it. That's how big the swelling was. We thought we were definitely headed to the ER. Long story not getting any shorter, she wasn't screaming or anything, so we decided to ice it for a bit and see. Within a half hour she was up and running around, putting pressure on it, bending and twisting it, so we decided to wait some more and watch the swelling. It seems to be slightly less swollen tonight. Hopefully she'll wake up with nothing but a big bruise in the morning...

The nerve of my kids! I'm going to wrap her in bubble wrap before Disney next week.

***Nikki posted this comment on his blog:

Nikki said...
You job for the next week in a half is to make sure those kids stay healthy... vitamins, masks, outside play, etc. And stay in one piece. If that means a bubble for grace... DO IT!

4 comments:

Nikki said...

I thought that seemed like your writing rather than Harlands. Esp when he was talking in the 1st person. Silly u!!

Sandra said...

After all it is Grace's turn. Abby got the hole in her head last.

While you kids are gone, Gabriel met another Abby at the YMCA. Guess your Abby will have to get over it.

my rebel took over said...

Abby will fight the other Abby.

Anonymous said...

So wait, I am so confused; where are you guys living now? I hope little miss's arm gets better.