I'll admit that I was probably just as excited as the girls when we saw an ad for the new Kidz Bop 20 album on TV this morning. I'll even admit that I stopped mid drying my hair to check when it's available on iTunes. We downloaded it about an hour ago and maybe were dancing for a while over here.
If you ask Abby what she wants to be when she grows up, she always says a singer. There's only one little problem. Abby is my daughter, and although she loves to sing (as do I), there is no way she's doing it in public. She has just recently started singing in church with the other kids. Last fall when our kids did a program at church she spent the entire thing facing the wall behind her singing with her back to the congregation. This does not bode well for her future music career.
She's been really pushing this whole singer thing the last bit. Last night we were talking about it in the car and the conversation went something like this:
Abby: Mom, I really want to be a singer.
Me: Abby, that's great, but do you understand that you have to be willing to sing in front of people for that to happen?
Abby: I know. I already sang in front of 1,000 people at church once. (Refering to singing Silent Night and Rulolph at a church Christmas party when she was all of three.)
Me: Or more like 75ish people, Abbs. But I bet it felt like it was 1,000!
Abby: It was a lot. I can do it!
Me: Ok, Daddy and I will help you if that's what you want, but you have to practice and show us that you can overcome your fear to sing in front of people, not just in a group, but by yourself.
Oh boy. Today she discovered that there is a Kidz Bop talent search and she wants to try out. What am I supposed to do here? The kid is terrified of public speaking! She sat here and read all the guidelines and rules for the contest with me and she says she's doing it. We have to make a video of her singing any song she wants. They are judged 50% on their singing, 25% on style and 25% on star quality. As if I know if she has any of that. I mean, the kid can certainly carry a tune, but it doesn't matter. She wants to try and so we're going to help her. Is there any chance she will forget this and not turn me into a stage mom??? Wish us luck!
3 comments:
That's awesome. Good luck Abby!
The best way to overcome stagefright is to keep trying. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics!
Tell her to picture the audience naked...ok I just really want to see her reaction when you say that!
So exciting! I volunteer myself to be a backup dancer.
Wow! How cool is that! Good luck Abby! :) Go get 'em!
Post a Comment