{pronounced Qua-zha-bur}
Seventeen years ago today, Grace received her life saving surgery.
Seventeen years ago today, I had to listen to her muted cry of hunger and could do nothing about it, because there was an emergency surgery that pushed hers back a few hours.
Seventeen years ago today, I held it together until the nurse practitioner very gently went over the obligatory risk run down with us. And then she touched my arm. And then she hugged me. And I was grateful for that.
Seventeen years ago today, I had to see what the inside of the OR looked like as they wheeled her little bed in.
Seventeen years ago today, I handed my six-week-old baby, that I had barely been able to hold myself, into the hands of a gifted team led by my hero Dr. Jan Quaegebeur.
Seventeen years ago today, I held it together until the door swung closed and then fell into Harland and lost it again. And again.
Seventeen years ago today, that surgery took much longer than they said it would.
Seventeen years ago today we waited to find out if we were in for one, or in for many surgeries.
Seventeen years ago today, I'm pretty sure I stopped breathing for a while.
Seventeen years ago today, I tried to let myself be fascinated by the Orthodox Jewish customs being played out before me by another NICU family, to keep myself from going insane.
Seventeen years ago today, I commiserated with another surgery day family that would most likely lose their battle for their son.
Seventeen years ago today, I knew Abby was home being loved and cared for by my Aunt, and I didn't have to worry about her.
Seventeen years ago today, my parents gave us their support and encouragement or sat quietly with us while we waited. So much love in all that quiet.
Seventeen years ago today, Dr. Q's team was successful, and the seed of hope was planted that this would be the only time we would have to go through this.
Seventeen years ago today, we found out that the next 72 hours would be scarier than the actual surgery was.
Seventeen years ago today, I never imagined that just 14 days later, Grace would be home for good.
{All photos are from surgery day}
Dear Dr. Quaegebeur,
Thank you for becoming the gifted surgeon you are. Thank you for pushing the limits of pediatric surgery when you did, and not giving in to those who thought what you were doing was unethical. Thank you for inventing the procedures that would save my Grace. Thank you for accepting the piddly $3,500 we paid you (via insurance), to do it. We would have given you everything, and you asked very little. Thank you for being the one to fix her little heart.
Forever grateful,
Amy Pond
{ps: There is a good article about Dr. Q written in 2003, here, if you're interested}




No comments:
Post a Comment